Alpha Lipoic acid is a well-known natural substance found in certain foods and also produced in the human body. It has an impressive array of potentially beneficial mechanisms of action:
- Alpha Lipoic acid is a potent and versatile antioxidant.
- It is a co-factor in a key biochemical pathway responsible for energy production in the cells (citric acid cycle).
- It inhibits cross-linking which is the formation of chemical bridges between proteins or other large molecules. Cross-linking contributed to the aging process by causing hardening of arteries, wrinkling of the skin and stiffening of joints.
- It has moderate anti-inflammatory effect.
- It has been shown to improve liver function, help regenerate liver cells, and reduce fatty liver.
- Finally, it has a capacity, albeit a modest one, to neutralize and remove from the body a variety of toxic metals.
Alpha Lipoic acid supplements have been repeatedly demonstrated to be of benefit in a number of health conditions. Call the office to schedule a consultation to be sure this supplement is right for you.
These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.